Client complaint information

Complaint procedure


  1. We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we have provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.  This will also help us to improve our standards.
  2. If you have a complaint, please contact us with the details. We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. If we have not resolved it within this time you may complain to the Legal Ombudsman.
  3. You also have the right to report us directly to the SRA if your complaint is not service related; more information can be found at

What should I do to make a complaint?

  1. In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is dealing with your matter, who will immediately inform their supervisor, and/or contact their supervisor directly to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.
  2. If that does not resolve your concern or in the alternative, you can contact us in writing (by letter or email) or by speaking with our Practice Manager, Maria Piercy;

Mrs M Piercy,
Allington Hughes Law,
Practice Manager,
10, Grosvenor Road,
LL11 1SD.

When contacting us, please provide;

  • Your full name, contact details and matter reference number
  • Details of your complaint
  • What you hope to achieve as a result of your complaint

What will happen next?

  1. We will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint within seven days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this procedure.
  2. We will record your complaint on a central register and open a separate file for your complaint.
  3. We will then investigate your complaint. This will normally involve: Reviewing your complaint, reviewing your file(s) and other relevant documents and speaking with the person who dealt with your matter
  4. We may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so,  we will ask you to provide the information within a specific time period.
  5. We may then, invite you to a meeting to discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint. We will do this within 14 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.
  6. Within three days of the meeting, we will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions which have been agreed with you.
  7. If you do not want a meeting or it is not possible, we will send you a detailed written reply to your complaint, including suggestions for resolving the matter, within 21 days of the date of our letter of acknowledgement.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

  1. At this stage, if you are still not satisfied with our final response, you should contact us again and we will arrange for someone unconnected with the matter at the firm to review the decision.
  2. We will write to you within 14 days of receiving your request for a review, confirming our final decision on your complaint and explaining our reasons.
  3. If you are still not satisfied, you can then contact the Legal Ombudsman about your complaint, using the contact details shown below:

Post: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ
Telephone: 0300 555 0333
Email: [email protected]

  1. Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written decision from us about your complaint or within six years of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or if outside of this period, within three years of when you should reasonably have been aware of it). For further information, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman on 0300 555 0333 or at [email protected].

Will I be charged for the handling of my complaint?

  1. We will not charge you for handling your complaint and the Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.
  2. We may be entitled, however to charge interest on the amount outstanding on sums still due and owing in respect of the unpaid element of your bill.